South African News

State Attorney rejects Malusi Gigaba’s plea for state-funded defence in Transnet corruption case

Jonisayi Maromo|Updated

Former Public Enterprises minister Malusi Gigaba appeared in the High Court in Johannesburg alongside former Transnet executives in the corruption case linked to the locomotive procurement programme.

Image: IDAC

Former Public Enterprises minister Malusi Gigaba appeared in the High Court in Johannesburg on Thursday alongside former Transnet executives as his corruption case linked to the controversial locomotive procurement programme continued.

The court heard that the State Attorney has rejected Gigaba’s application for state funding to cover his legal costs.

Gigaba argues that the decisions forming the basis of the charge were taken in his official capacity as Minister of Public Enterprises between 2010 and 2014.

As previously reported by IOL, the matter was transferred last month from the Specialised Commercial Crimes Court at Palm Ridge to the High Court after the state confirmed the service of indictments and notices of trial on all accused.

Gigaba is charged alongside former Transnet group chief executive Brian Molefe, former group chief financial officer Anoj Singh, former chief executive Siyabonga Gama and former chief procurement officer Thamsanqa Jiyane.

According to the indictments, the charges relate to the period during which Transnet embarked on a large-scale programme to acquire locomotives to expand and modernise South Africa’s rail infrastructure.

Prosecutors allege that tender processes were flouted and that three contracts were irregularly awarded for the supply of 95, 100 and 1,064 locomotives, resulting in losses amounting to billions of rands for the state-owned freight logistics company.

During proceedings on Thursday, the National Prosecuting Authority’s Investigating Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC) also raised concerns about a potential conflict of interest involving one of its prospective state witnesses.

IDAC spokesperson Henry Mamothame told SABC News that the potential witness is represented by the same instructing attorneys acting for Gigaba, although in a separate matter. He said correspondence on the issue dates back to late last year and that prosecutors want the matter resolved to avoid delays to the trial.

Gigaba denies the charge and has indicated that he will contest the allegations in court.

The matter was postponed to May 8 for a pre-trial.

jonisayi.maromo@iol.co.za

IOL News  

Get your news on the go. Download the latest IOL App for Android and IOS now.