South African News

Bolt says murdered Isaac Satlat was using another driver’s profile, not eligible for compensation

Jonisayi Maromo|Updated

E-hailing company Bolt says 22-year-old Isaac Satlat was not operating under his own registered profile at the time of his murder, confirming the account has been permanently banned.

Image: Facebook

E-hailing platform Bolt has confirmed that 22-year-old Nigerian national Isaac Satlat was operating under another driver’s registered profile at the time of his murder in Pretoria, describing the situation as prohibited “profile sharing”.

The development comes as the fourth suspect linked to the killing is expected to appear in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, joining three co-accused already before court.

IOL has previously reported on the arrest of three suspects, their court appearance, and the subsequent surrender of the fourth accused in connection with Satlat’s murder.

In a statement issued to IOL, Bolt said it was “deeply saddened by the tragic loss of life” and extended its condolences to Satlat’s family, friends and loved ones.

The company confirmed it was in close contact with the South African Police Service (SAPS) and was actively supporting the investigation.

“We are grateful that the suspects for this horrible crime were apprehended and will be brought to justice,” Bolt said.

Following an internal investigation, the company confirmed that Satlat was not the registered owner of the driver profile that was active at the time of the incident.

According to Bolt, the profile belonged to Wiseman Makobe, a registered driver with an active account on the platform. On the day of the incident, Makobe completed the required verification process, after which Satlat operated using that profile.

“This constitutes profile sharing. The profile has since been permanently hard-blocked and banned from operating on the platform,” the company said.

Bolt stressed that profile sharing is strictly prohibited as it undermines passenger trust, compromises safety and violates its agreements with drivers.

The company said it has implemented safeguards to combat the practice, including mandatory identity verification, regular in-app selfie checks, device monitoring, data-led risk detection systems, and immediate suspension or permanent bans where violations are identified.

Dikeledi Tears Mphela, Goitsione Machidi and McClaren Mushwana, accused of murder of an e-hailing driver, Isaac David appearing at the Pretoria Magistrate's Court in Pretoria.

Image: Oupa Mokoena

Bolt further clarified its compensation policy, stating that comprehensive support applies when drivers are operating lawfully under their own verified profiles. This includes compensation in the event of death, serious injury, disability and medical expenses.

However, it said that where impersonation or profile sharing occurs, the individual is considered to be operating unlawfully and outside the scope of the platform’s protections, meaning compensation policies do not apply.

“To protect the integrity of the investigation and respect all parties involved, we are unable to share further details at this time,” the company added.

Bolt said it continues to operate in South Africa, which it described as one of its largest markets globally, and welcomed the formal regulation of the e-hailing sector as an important step towards strengthening safety and accountability.

The investigation into the circumstances surrounding Satlat’s killing is ongoing.

jonisayi.maromo@iol.co.za

IOL News  

Get your news on the go. Download the latest IOL App for Android and IOS now.