President Cyril Ramaphosa addresses US claims on South Africa's G20 status on Sunday night.
Image: Presidency
President Cyril Ramaphosa says South Africa will continue to participate fully and remain an active and constructive member of the G20 countries despite the US announcement that the country would not be invited to next year’s summit.
Ramaphosa said this on Sunday night when addressing the nation about the recent G20 summit that was held in South Africa. Trump announced on Wednesday evening via his social media platform that South Africa would not receive an invitation to the 2026 G20, which is expected to be held in Miami, Florida.
He also added that the US will stop all payments and subsidies with immediate effect.
His remarks followed South Africa’s refusal to symbolically pass the G20 presidency to a senior US Embassy representative at the close of this year’s summit in Johannesburg.
He also added that the US did not attend the G20 in South Africa because the South African government refused to acknowledge or address what he called “the horrific human rights abuses” endured by Afrikaners, and other descendants of Dutch, French and German settlers.
He added that white people were killed in the country and that their farms were “randomly” taken, an allegation that South Africa has denied.
“It is regrettable that the US, which is a founding member of the G20 and which takes over the Presidency of the G20 from South Africa in 2026, chose not to participate in the G20 Leaders’ Summit and the final meetings leading up to it.
It is even more unfortunate that the reasons the US gave for its non-participation were based on baseless and false allegations that South Africa is perpetrating genocide against Afrikaners and the confiscation of land from white people,” said Ramaphosa, adding that this is blatant misinformation about “our” country.
Ramaphosa said the country was pleased that many organisations, businesses and individuals from the US participated in large numbers in G20-related activities, such as the Business 20 Summit and the G20 Social Summit.
He said their constructive and enthusiastic participation was valued.
“Earlier this week, we formally handed over the G20 Presidency for 2026 to the US, observing the appropriate diplomatic protocols. A few days ago, President Donald Trump made a statement to the effect that South Africa would not be invited to participate in the G20 in the United States. He repeated untrue statements about genocide against Afrikaners and the confiscation of land from white people in our country,” he said.
Ramaphosa added that South Africa is one of the founding members of the G20 and South Africa is therefore a member of the G20 in its own name and right, adding that the country will continue to participate as a full, active and constructive member of the G20.
“Despite the challenges and misunderstandings that have arisen, South Africa remains a firm and unwavering friend of the American people. We recall the great solidarity movement in the United States that stood by our side in our struggle for democracy and freedom. We recall how the Bill of Rights in the US Constitution inspired us as we wrote our democratic constitution. We offer the people of the United States nothing but goodwill and friendship," he said.
Trump, who has been accusing South Africa of “white genocide” since he took over the office for his second term in January, froze funding from programmes such as the US Presidency’s Emergency Plan for Aids Relief (PEPFAR) and USAID.
This was after South Africa opened a case against Israel at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), accusing Israel of committing genocide against Palestinians in the Gaza Strip in December 2024.
He also imposed a 30% “reciprocal” tariff on South African exports.
However, Ramaphosa said South Africa will continue to engage in dialogue with the US government, and to do so with respect and with dignity as equal sovereign countries.
“We value the United States government and its people as a partner. We have common interests, common values and a shared wish to advance the prosperity and well-being of the people of both our countries.
“As a country, we are aware that the stance taken by the US administration has been influenced by a sustained campaign of disinformation by groups and individuals within our country, in the US and elsewhere. These people who are spreading disinformation are endangering and undermining South Africa’s national interests, destroying South African jobs and weakening our country’s relations with one of our most important partners,” he said, adding that South Africa is a constitutional democracy, with a Bill of Rights that guarantees equality under the law," he said.
Related Topics: