Four men arrested at OT Tambo Airport for allegedly recruiting south african to Russian military
Image: Supplied
Four men were arrested at OR Tambo International Airport on Friday for allegedly recruiting South African nationals to join the Russian military.
The Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) confirmed the arrests on Saturday, following a tip-off from airport police about the group’s travel plans. The suspects were reportedly en route to Russia via the United Arab Emirates when they were intercepted at the boarding gate and handed over to the Hawks’ Crimes Against the State (CATS) unit.
“Four suspects are expected to appear before the Kempton Park Magistrates’ Court on Monday, 01 December 2025, following their arrest on Friday, 28 November 2025, on suspicion of contravening the Regulation of Foreign Military Assistance Act, 15 of 1998,” the Hawks said in a statement.
While the Hawks have not released the names of those arrested, sources have indicated that a senior media personality is among the suspects.
A preliminary investigation revealed that a South African woman had allegedly been facilitating the travel and recruitment of individuals into the Russian Federation military.
The Hawks also confirmed that search-and-seizure operations were carried out in connection with additional suspects believed to be part of the facilitation network.
“A search and seizure warrant was executed for an additional suspect believed to be involved in the facilitation of the four men, as well as a fifth individual who had already departed South Africa for Russia,” the Hawks said.
“Upon the suspect’s arrival at OR Tambo International Airport (ORTIA) on 27 November 2025, the individual was interviewed, during which further evidence was uncovered.
“This resulted in the arrest of three additional suspects on November 28 2025. Electronic gadgets and two backpacks were seized for further investigation.”
The Hawks said they are working with local and international intelligence agencies to determine the full extent of the network and assess any potential security threats.
“Coordination with intelligence structures and international counterparts is ongoing to determine the full extent of the network and any further potential security threats,” the agency said.
Meanwhile, Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla, daughter of former president Jacob Zuma, resigned as a Member of Parliament for the MK Party on Friday. Her resignation was announced at a press conference in Durban amid allegations that she was involved in recruiting 17 South African men to join the Russian military.