News

Sombre mood deepens as Ekapa continues search for five trapped miners

Danie van der Lith|Published

As pumping and drilling operations continue 890 metres underground at Ekapa’s Joint Shaft Mine in Kimberley, hope is fading among the families of the five trapped miners.

Image: Danie van der Lith / DFA

AS THE search for the five miners trapped underground at Ekapa Minerals’ Joint Shaft Mine in Kimberley continues, the mood among families and the broader community has grown increasingly sombre with each passing day.

The men have been trapped 890 metres below ground since what the company has described as an unpredictable and catastrophic mud rush at the mine in the early hours of February 17. Since then, efforts have focused on reaching the affected area and establishing whether any survivable spaces remain.

In a media update issued on Saturday, February 21, Ekapa Minerals confirmed that substantial efforts remain under way to pump water from the flooded section of the mine and to drill into the affected area from levels above in an attempt to establish communication with the five trapped employees.

According to the statement, drilling began shortly after the incident in an effort to access the area and make contact with the miners. When no communication could be established, the focus shifted to identifying possible air pockets or areas where life could be sustained.

Drilling teams have been working around the clock in 24-hour rotational shifts, lowering cameras into targeted voids. In each instance, however, only water and mud were found, with no sign of survivable conditions.

The company said the mud rush resulted in the ingress of large volumes of water on what it described as an unprecedented scale. All water must be pumped from the affected section before crews can begin clearing mud and rock to reach the trapped miners.

Ekapa Minerals has installed additional pumping infrastructure and now has the capacity to remove a further 5,000 cubic metres of water per day from the affected area. However, fluctuating levels of water ingress continue to complicate co-ordinated pumping operations.

Procedures for removing mud and rock have been finalised following formal risk assessments, and employees have been briefed and equipped to begin the process as soon as it is deemed safe to enter the area.

In its statement, the company said engagement with the affected families remains ongoing, with regular communication and counselling support being offered. Ekapa also expressed appreciation to employees, contractors and Proto team members from across the country who have been involved in the operation since February 17.

“Our activities continue unabated despite the passing of time,” the statement read, adding that the safety of employees and the effectiveness of the operation remain the company’s highest priority.

While the technical operation continues underground, above ground the atmosphere remains heavy with uncertainty as families wait for verified updates and cling to hope amid increasingly difficult circumstances.