Community health workers protested outside the Ministry of Health in Kimberley this week, demanding permanent absorption.
Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo / DFA
AS COMMUNITY health workers (CHWs) vow to close clinics across the Frances Baard District, patients say they are bearing the brunt of a dispute over permanent absorption.
CHWs intend to embark on a full-blown strike in the Northern Cape as they are not satisfied with the explanation that there is “no more money” for further absorptions.
Around 300 CHWs in the Northern Cape are fighting for permanent absorption and believe that the induction process of 595 workers was unfair.
CHWs who are over the age of 60, or who do not possess a matric certificate, said their contracts would end on March 1.
“We will be left with nothing after we started this programme as volunteers. We started with f*** all and we are leaving with f*** all. Why do we need a matric certificate when we have been doing the work for over 20-odd years?” they asked.
“We love our jobs and our patients, and we do not want to do anything else. We clean patients, wash corpses, assist the dying and deliver babies.”
They added that various promises had been made during the course of their careers to recognise the skills and training they had undergone.
“The requirement to have matric is being used to eliminate us and now we have to sit at home.”
Various clinics in Kimberley were disrupted this week.
Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo / DFA
CHWs from various districts in the province waited outside the Ministry of Health in Kimberley on February 18 for more than two hours, seeking answers.
They were informed that the Department of Public Service and Administration would be consulted regarding those of retirement age, with a possible once-off separation package.
The CHWs said the department had committed to assisting them to obtain their matric certificates.
“They told us that all government positions would be frozen and that contract CHWs would be given first preference should any vacancies arise. How long will that take? We could wait forever. People without experience are being given preference above us.”
Workers said they were warned that money would be deducted from their stipends if they did not work six hours per day or if they embarked on strike action.
Community health workers from the Frances Baard District gathered outside the Ministry of Health this week.
Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo / DFA
Patients were prevented from entering clinics in Kimberley this week, while staff were made to vacate health facilities.
Tyres were set alight outside clinics on Monday morning this week and no one was allowed to enter.
On Tuesday, patients stood in long queues but were unable to access their patient files as CHWs had downed tools. Patients and staff were chased out of clinics on Wednesday, while facilities were also closed on Thursday.
Reports were received of clinics that were closed in Warrenton on Wednesday.
CHWs from Ritchie and Jan Kempdorp added that they would follow suit on Thursday.
Patients stated that they needed to collect chronic medication as their supplies had run out.
“Some of us have high blood pressure and may suffer a stroke or heart attack if we don't take our medication daily. Who will be held accountable if patients die?” they asked.
Many patients, including babies, the elderly and those using crutches, said they arrived at clinics in the city from 5am to avoid having to wait long hours in queues.
“We had to take leave in order to see the doctor. We were told to come back next week, while we were given dates to return to fetch medication next month. It is a huge inconvenience,” they said.
Kimberley City Clinic was disrupted this week due to protest action.
Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo / DFA
SAPS Northern Cape spokesperson Colonel Cherelle Ehlers said members of the Kimberley Public Order Police Unit were deployed after disgruntled healthcare workers gathered at clinics in Kimberley and Galeshewe and burnt tyres on Monday.
“The crowd dispersed peacefully. No police action was necessary. The situation is stable, however, police continue to monitor,” she said.
Northern Cape Department of Health spokesperson Lebogang Majaha said they were complying with the national directive to appoint the first cohort of CHWs while the national Department of Health and organised labour were engaging on finding a long-term solution.
“We understand the plight of the CHWs. The department appreciates the important role they play as an extension of the department’s service in reaching out to communities in far-flung areas and providing healthcare services,” he stated.
Community health workers Sarah de Kock, 63, Daphne Mondile, 64, and Gladys Ramatloko said they face unemployment without any benefits or unemployment insurance after decades of service.
Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo / DFA