Shoprite robbery accused Shadrack Mocholo was granted R2,000 bail in the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court.
Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo / DFA
SUSPENDED Patriotic Alliance (PA) Frances Baard regional deputy chairperson Shadrack Mocholo, 44, was granted bail of R2,000 in the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court following his arrest in connection with an armed robbery at Shoprite.
During the incident, which occurred on January 18 at the corner of Chapel and Currey streets in Kimberley, a 54-year-old employee was shot in the hand while robbers made off with cash amounting to R1.7 million.
Mocholo was on parole for a robbery conviction at the time of his arrest. He was previously sentenced to 29 years’ imprisonment for robbery, possession of a firearm, and other related offences committed in 2006.
The investigating officer, Detective Warrant Officer Patrick Dibebe, testified that four unknown men entered the Chapel Street Shoprite on January 18, where the door was open and the key to the safe, as well as the cash, was easily accessible.
“They were armed with a knife and two firearms. They wore hoodies and covered their faces. A suspect drew a knife from his pocket and threatened a cleaner, while another suspect shot him in the arm. A suspect took the key, opened the safe and took R1.7 million. He placed the money in a zipper bag,” said Dibebe.
He added that one of the cash clerks had failed a polygraph test.
He indicated that Mocholo was identified by Crime Intelligence and during an identity parade by staff members who were inside the shop at the time of the robbery.
Dibebe advised the court that he had not been able to make much progress with the investigation as he had been office-bound since February 4.
“All the vehicles are broken due to mechanical failures and are in the garage,” he said.
The legal representative for the accused, Advocate Marcus Mafaro, said police found no evidence against his client after searching his residence.
“No items were confiscated except his cellphone,” said Mafaro.
“He intends to plead not guilty and has an alibi to prove that he was at home between 6am and 7am at the time of the alleged robbery. He had hired someone to install a door at his home at the time of the incident. One of his tenants is prepared to testify regarding his whereabouts.
“There is no DNA or fingerprints to link him to the crime. The accused cannot be identified in the video footage.”
Mafaro said that while his client was pointed out during an identity parade, suspects were made to cover their faces with white sheets of paper.
“No voice recognition was conducted during the parade. There were four suspects inside the store, yet only my client was arrested.”
Mafaro added that a person named “Tim” had approached his client and warned him that he would “make things difficult in Kimberley”.
“Tim’s brother works at Crime Intelligence,” he pointed out.
Mafaro said Mocholo had no pending cases or protection orders against him and had abided by his curfew and parole conditions.
“His parole classification was reduced from high to medium risk. He completed all rehabilitation programmes and committed to change his ways. Mocholo allows youths to make use of his gym free of charge, and there is no one to see to his tenants while he is in custody,” he added.
Magistrate Natasha Bedford postponed the matter until May 5.
Kago Barnett is representing the State.