Ekapa Minerals confirmed on Wednesday morning that intensive search and rescue operations are continuing for five mineworkers trapped 890 metres underground following a mud rush at its Joint Shaft Mine in Kimberley.
Image: Danie van der Lith / DFA
KIMBERLEY is holding its breath as five mineworkers remain trapped underground following a mud rush at Ekapa Minerals’ Joint Shaft Mine at Du Toitspan.
The incident occurred on Tuesday, February 17, on the 890-metre level of the Joint Shaft Mine. Since then, families, colleagues and residents across the city have turned to social media, with Facebook becoming a focal point for prayer chains and messages of support.
Posts calling for divine intervention have flooded timelines, while loved ones wait anxiously for news.
“We pray for these mineworkers and their families. Please, Lord, let them all come out safely. Father God, please protect them, and may they return safely unharmed. Heavenly Father, we pray for your divine intervention,” read one of many widely shared messages.
While fear is mounting, hope remains.
In an official update issued at 10.50am on Wednesday, Ekapa Minerals confirmed that search and rescue operations are continuing.
“Ekapa Minerals confirms that search and rescue operations remain ongoing at the Joint Shaft Mine following the mud rush incident that occurred yesterday, 17 February 2026, on 890m Level of its Joint Shaft Mine, in Kimberley, South Africa,” the statement read.
Specialist proto teams from Mines Rescue Services are assisting the mine’s own emergency response teams in efforts to locate the five contractors who remain unaccounted for.
The company said extensive drilling and dewatering activities are under way under challenging conditions. All operations are being co-ordinated under established emergency response protocols, with the safety of rescue personnel remaining a priority.
Families of the affected mineworkers are being regularly briefed and supported, Ekapa confirmed, adding that communication with them remains a key focus during this difficult time.
The mining company also expressed appreciation to the Kimberley community, other mining houses and business associates for offers of technical support and well wishes. It acknowledged the presence and input on site from officials of the Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources, including chief inspector of mines Mr Msiza, deputy chief inspector Mr Zondi and Northern Cape principal inspector Mr Matetai.
The company said further updates will be communicated as verified information becomes available.
According to sources at the mine, the pumping of water and mud is ongoing but slow, with conditions underground complicating the process. The extent of the mud rush and water ingress has made access to the affected area extremely difficult.
Mines Rescue Services is a specialised non-profit organisation that provides emergency response, firefighting and rescue services to the South African mining industry. It is particularly known for its elite “proto teams”, made up of volunteers who undergo rigorous physical and psychological training.
Operating from Carletonville, Evander, Steelpoort and Welkom, the organisation is internationally recognised for its expertise in high-pressure, high-heat and ultra-deep rescue operations of up to 3,000 metres.
Its specialised equipment includes a mobile rescue winder capable of reaching depths of 3,000 metres, as well as advanced camera systems with voice capability to communicate with trapped mineworkers.
For now, the focus remains on the five men underground.
Across Kimberley, churches, community groups and families continue to pray, hoping for a breakthrough in the rescue effort. As heavy machinery works tirelessly above ground, loved ones cling to faith that a miracle is still possible.
The situation remains fluid, and the city waits for the next update from deep below the surface.
Related Topics: