George “Barney” Peters wants to recuse himself from his trial George "Barney" Peters advised the Northern Cape High Court that he would step down from the case as he was innocent.
Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo
GEORGE “Barney” Peters, who is alleged to be the leader of the “Hollanders gang”, has indicated that he wants to step aside from his trial, claiming innocence and suggesting that court proceedings could continue without him.
His previous legal representative withdrew on March 20, and Pierre Fourie from Legal Aid South Africa was appointed to represent Peters on March 26. However, Fourie indicated that his client had chosen to represent himself.
Peters and his co-accused - Britney Arends, 22, Stephanie McAnda, 21, Simone Rose, 29, Chinaaz Mentoor, 21, Abigail van Wyk, 22, Chane Adams, 27, Michael Peters, 37, Clive Peters, 42, Deon May, 38, Pamerston Mentoor, 30, Henry Blom, 28, Thabo Sekapano, 38, Vincent Rosen, 33, Tshepo Malambi, 27, Nico Hofuza, 29, and Shawn Smith, 24 - appeared in the Northern Cape High Court this week.
The 117 charges they face include murder, attempted murder, gang activity, illegal possession of firearms and ammunition, discharge of a firearm in a built-up area, public violence, money laundering, defeating the ends of justice, assault, kidnapping, fraud, and dealing in drugs.
Peters told the court that his legal representatives were not following his instructions.
“I have been incarcerated for a long time, and I am patiently sitting in this trial because they tell me there will be justice in the high court. I will step down and the case can proceed against the other accused,” he said.
He added that his children were suffering while he remained in prison.
“Some of my children are not attending school because people are telling them that their father is a murderer. I can’t take the pain.
“Everyone in this court can go home to their families and children, while we sit in prison because of fabricated charges.”
According to court papers, Peters has 24 children, although he claimed he had fathered “36 or more”.
He questioned how long it would take for 117 charges to be argued in court.
“I have had many operations, and I am sitting here in a lot of pain,” he said.
Barney Peters wants to recuse himself from his trial.
Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo
SAPS official Daniel Mogomosi testified last week that eight suspects were arrested after a group stormed into Roodepan police station in August 2020, arriving armed with knives.
He added that a young man threatened to kill him and his family and burn down his house.
“He tried to stab me, but police members managed to hold him back and took the knife out of his hands,” Mogomosi told the court.
Peters stated that he had given the first State witness “a chance”, although he was unable to incriminate him.
“They must point out what I have done. I want to know the truth, not stories. I want nothing. I don’t want to represent myself. I am just a democratic man.”
He also stated that his brother and co-accused Deon May were involved in an altercation in court after his legal representative withdrew last week.
“I am not speaking on behalf of the other accused because I do not want to control anyone. I am afraid that I might be harmed. I only want to fight for my rights,” he added.
Legal representative Mr Montwane said he did not wish to become involved when his client, McAnda, complained that no one - including SAPS, the investigating officer, or correctional services - was willing to assist them in visiting the bank to open an account.
Some of the accused indicated that they are aggrieved that no one wants to take them to the bank.
Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo
Judge Alme Stanton instructed Peters that he had to be present during the trial and advised him that it would be in his best interests to make use of a legally trained representative who had knowledge of the legal system.
“How will you defend yourself if you abscond?” she asked.
She pointed out that Peters was causing delays in the trial due to the withdrawal of his legal representative, and explained that evidence could only be presented if the trial proceeded.
“The accused will have an opportunity to cross-examine the witnesses,” she said.
Stanton also noted that she could not intervene to assist the accused in visiting the bank.
She postponed the matter until March 28 to allow Peters to consider the implications of representing himself and for a Legal Aid lawyer to consult with him so that he could make an informed decision.
The 17 accused have pleaded not guilty to 117 charges.
Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo