A group of community members closed off the R374 on Tuesday. Picture: Supplied
THE R374 was closed on Tuesday morning by community members as they have not received any satisfactory answers to their demands relating to the shortage of resources and personnel at Windsorton police station.
The community staged a march to the police station last week, giving the authorities seven days to recruit 15 new police officers, more police reservists and three new bakkies, as well as to establish a mobile police station in the location.
They are also calling for the holding cells to be reopened at Windsorton police station.
ANC branch chairperson Thomas Saul said the community gathered at the Windsorton four-way crossing in anticipation of the provincial commissioner, Lieutenant-General Koliswa Otola, or the MEC for Safety and Liaison arriving to listen to their concerns.
“We were addressed by Brigadier Makgari but were not given any positive responses.”
SAPS provincial spokesperson Colonel Cherelle Ehlers said alleged disgruntled community members marched to the four-way intersection in Windsorton on Tuesday at about 10am.
“A group of community members then blocked the road into Windsorton.
“The road has since been cleared, and members from Kimberley Public Order Police are monitoring the situation,” she stated.